The Client/ Server installation for multi-user access is a little more involved then the Work group (Windows File Sharing) set-up but it reaps significant benefits in performance, reliability and security. It involves installing a database server component on the computer that will host your data files. Then setting up Ezy Invoice to connect to the database through this database server (through its IP Address and Port).
The Client/ Server option is available as an license option that you can purchase.
Benefits of the Client/ Server version
– Significantly Improved performance especially when database is very large. (Much of the processing can be done by the database server. So for example database can be filtered, ordered and compressed by the server before sending back over the network.)
– Faster and more robust when several users are connected concurrently
– Improved security. The data folder does not need to be shared so users cannot easily access data files over the network using Windows Explorer
– Much improved security with centralised administration of backup/ restore etc. Administrators can view who is connected to the database server at any time and disconnect users if needed
– Allows you to access your database on your database server over the Internet. This is useful when you want to access your data from home, while travelling with a laptop or from a branch office. You can simply subscribe to a VPS (Virtual Private Server) from a service provider and install the database server and datafiles there. Or you can setup one of your own computers at your location as a database server. This requires you to have a fixed public IP address, open the relevant firewall ports and confifure your router for port forwarding (ie forward relevant ports to your internal database server).See also : How to set up and access Ezy Invoice over the Internet ?
Choose your database server compute
1. Windows 10, 8.1,8, 7, Vista or Windows Server 20012R2, 2008R2, 2008, 2003
2. (Min 1 GB Ram for 32 bit and 2 GB for 64bit) for physical server. Min 0.5GB for virtual server
3. Must have a fixed IP address. If need access over the Internet, will need a fixed public IP address.
For your convenience, we created a series of video tutorials to guide you through a smooth set up :
Database Server Installation and Introduction
1. Sitting at your chosen server computer, download and Install the “DBISam Database Server” on your chosen server computer.
See Video Below (1:50 mins).
2. Record down the IP Address of your server computer. If unsure,
See video below showing how to get your server IP address. (1:45 mins)
Database Server Administration
3. Next add a new administrator account to the database server and delete the default administrator account. See Video Demo (4:45 mins)
4. Add an empty database folder to the database server. See Video Demo below (6 mins)
5. Move an Ezy Invoice database that is currently setup on the local hard disk or workgroup to the database server for Client/ Server connections. Video Demo (3:22 mins). After this you still need to connect to it from Ezy Invoice as shown in #7 below
Connect To The Remote Database Server And Database from Ezy Invoice
6. Use Ezy Invoice to connect to the empty database on server and create a new Ezy Invoice database. Video Demo (3:15 mins)
7. Use Ezy Invoice to connect to an Ezy Invoice database that has already been setup on the datbase server. Video Demo (2:11 mins)
Starting The Database Server
A default installation of the DBISam server will start the server as a normal application. A short-cut will be placed in your computers “Common Start-Up ” folder such that the Database server will be started automtically everytime you restart your computer and login. You do not need to specifically start your Database Server in the default installation. Note however that you MUST LOGIN to your computer for the Database Server to start.
Running The Database Server As a Service
At times you may want the Database server to start without the need to specifically login to the computer. This is especially useful when the Database server is installed on a Windows Server. To do this you must install the Database Server as a Service :
– First remove the shorcut Icon from your Computers Common | Startup folder so it does not start as an application when you login.
– Go to your computers command prompt. Its best that you run the command prompt window as Administrator.
– Type the command : c:\DBISAMServerV4\dbsrvr.exe /install /nointeract
then press Enter. You should get confirmation that it has been installed as a service. If you installed to a different drive or folder, you must enter the exact path.
– Next type the command : net start dbsrvr
See Demo Below
You only need to do this once. From then on the DBISam Service will always start whenever the server is restarted. There is no need to login to the server.